The “first look” – and to hold on to that moment on wedding photos – is a more recent tradition
We call a “first-look” photo series, a private moment, where the bride and groom first see themselves in their wedding attire before the ceremony – far away from family and friends.
In many of our wedding films, the “First Look” is an important main motif, and some of our favourite wedding pictures show wonderfully touched brides. When does a “first look” make sense? Our opinion about the “meeting before the shooting”.
There are infinitely many settings for the first look, and you have already seen quite a few things: The bride, who is sneaking up the groom in a beautiful park from behind, to tap him on the shoulder, in focus is the facial expression of the man waiting with a nervous smile at his lady of hearts.
We can see how he reacts when he sees his bride for the first time in her wedding dress: surprised, overwhelmed, proud. No question, the moment you look at each other for the first time in the wedding outfit is magical. Exactly the fabric from which authentic wedding photos are woven. And since it is not a posed scene, it is a real moment – honest and natural moments.
Basically, we find the first look top and we love it, and for some couples it is just the right thing. But for many couples it is not at all possible acceptable to see each other before the ceremony. And this is absolutely okay.
But what does it say? To make it easier, we have put arguments together.
To photograph the First Look: Yes or no?
The Pro’s: That’s why you should make a first look
– It creates photos that spray against real emotions.
The day’s schedule of the wedding leaves no other option. For immediately after the “Getting-Ready”, the bridal couple’s photos should be made, and so the moment of meeting should be made more official and more beautiful. If wedding photographers have to be there.
– Privacy. We guarantee: If you see your treasure so swept, you will want some time-to-second, because what happens must happen. You can laugh, kiss and hug as you want. If you do not have a first look, you must go straight into the ceremony.
– When you are an emotional kind, you have time to refresh your make-up before the ceremony.
–First Look before the ceremony. This means that all the excitement, tremors and nerves fluttering already ebbs before you cry to the altar. Which in turn means that you will be calmer and more present during the ceremony.
– You can select the location for the First Look, and we can influence the setting and light conditions. We can not do that at the ceremony.
The Con’s: That speaks against the First Look shooting
– Clearly, all the tension, the expectation and the great moment remain until the end, if you do not make a first look. And your parents, family friends and family can be witnesses of the happenings. It is and remains an emotional moment.
– If you want a first look, you have to get up earlier, get ready earlier and wear your wedding dress longer.
– The wedding dress can get dirty. Whether dust, leaves or grasses … although we are careful; the flowery dress is delicate.
– Even more touch-up for hair and make-up is necessary: schedule time.
– It is out of the question. You honor the traditions and do not want to see you before the wedding ceremony. Point.
As you can see, the First Look is a very individual decision. After we have reproduced the pros and cons from a neutral point of view, we would like to speak of our experience.
An extra first look you should make when it makes sense. An important factor here is a strict schedule.
First look then, if it makes sense
If, for example, the couple deliberately decides to make the bridal couple photoshooting in the morning, because the schedule only allows it. Then it is a beautiful and, above all, an honest, unspent moment, which can be perfectly captured by photo and video. We also find that the magic of the first moment has its charm.
First look shootings are often unique and fresh. We have often experienced the tension of the bride and groom in the course of the day: the ceremony is over, the family photos in the box, as well as the group and bridesmaids shots.
On the other hand, a “first look” before the age is also beautiful, not for nothing is it an old tradition. You can feel and see the nervous flare, the joyous expectation of the guests. Therefore, if there is enough time after the ceremony, and it is not very important for you to see each other before the ceremony, we recommend the traditional route.
We recommend First Look Shooting then when the schedule is tight. And, of course, we stand by your side. If you can only imagine seeing your beloved or your beloved the first time before the wedding, we can make a bridal couple shoot even in a tight schedule.
We do not discredit this wonderful tradition.
What is your opinion on a First Look photo shooting on the weddingday? Would you, or would not you…?